Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Emerging Criticism


If you're reading this right now, you've probably heard of the emerging church (generally referring to the global movement) or Emergent (usually referring to the organization). {Dan Kimball provides a nicer, more complete explanation of the differences, if you're interested.} You may not be that familiar with it, though, and may even have criticisms of it. Fair enough. As a blog where I want to encourage dialogue, criticism is a part of that. However, trying to sum the emerging church up in a single post is more than anybody really could do. For really describing it well, I would direct you to Dan Kimball's The Emerging Church. It's an excellent resource and easy read!

But for those who don't have the time or desire to read a whole book (okay, I don't do it very often either--I'm burned out from school :) ), but have serious concerns, Emergent Village recently posted an excellent response to their critics. From my discussions with others about the emerging church (if you couldn't tell, I classify myself among the emerging/emergent church), these are criticisms of the emerging movement as a whole, not just Emergent, the organization.

Emerging or not, critical or not, I highly encourage you to read the response to critics. It will help you gain more insight into the movement and also make you think about your own reactions and how you handle criticism and conflict, particularly when it comes to theology, the Church, and faith.

I think this will lead into some posts about conflict and dealing with conflict. My dissertation was on peacemaking, but doing it is a very different manner, and I definitely struggle... Anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions?

Got a question, struggle, or doubt you'd like to see addressed here? Contact me, and I'll try to discuss it (and may even help you get an answer).