Friday, January 8, 2010

Franciscan Benediction

A friend emailed me this benediction as a New Year's prayer. I really like it. So much could be said, but I think I'll leave it. What are your reactions?

May God bless you with DISCOMFORT...at easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart.
May God bless you with ANGER...at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.
May God bless you with TEARS...to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to their their pain into JOY.
And may God bless you with enough FOOLISHNESS...to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you DO what others claim cannot be done.
Amen

1 comment:

  1. At first the BOLD words attracted me(or distracted me) and were all normally negatively used words. So, I immediately thought "I'm not going to like this". But then I read it fully and it was terrific!

    A lesson of how we(I)need not to jump to conclusions 'til I have the whole story! They say we make our minds up in 5 seconds if we like someone or not and the same for a lot of things. This is an excellant lesson of not letting first impressions or initial actions rule our thoughts.

    Well written benediction by your friend.

    Jan-Michael

    ReplyDelete

Questions?

Got a question, struggle, or doubt you'd like to see addressed here? Contact me, and I'll try to discuss it (and may even help you get an answer).